Update: Add Allergens to Scan Results
In this week’s release, we created a feature that allows you to add allergen statements to products in the app. For celiacs and people with food allergies, this piece of information is extremely valuable — so we need your help!
If you scan a product and notice that Spoonful doesn’t list anything under the allergen section, we would be extremely grateful to have you fill it out.
Anatomy of an allergen statement
In the US, allergens are typically listed on the back of a food label at the end of or right below the ingredients section. Outside the US, they can be found within the ingredient list as well (e.g. butter [milk]).
Here are a few common examples to look out for:
- Contains [wheat]
- May contain [fish]
- Manufactured in a facility that uses [egg] ingredients
- Manufactured in a facility which processes [egg]
- Processed in a facility that uses [milk]
- Manufactured on equipment that processes products containing [peanuts]
- Manufactured on equipment that uses [milk]
- Manufactured in a facility that processes [tree nuts], but not on the same equipment
- Manufactured on shared equipment…may contain [peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, milk…]
If you have a question about a specific allergen statement or product, please don’t hesitate to email email@example.com. We’ll be happy to take a look and walk you through it!